Joe Alterio's blog on illustration, comix, design, animation, and other bouts of total awesomeness.

Monday, September 10, 2007

"A slime draws near. Command?"



Future Systems on London has just won the contract for building the new national library for the Czech Republic, on the strength of their kinda outside-the-box design, picture above. Now, I ain't no prude, but frankly, I'd love to see a return to a little classicism one of these days when it comes to destination building design. What's the matter with dentals and dorics? Having recently lived in a city with a very weird and newsmaking library, I know I'm bucking the trend, but screw it: stuff like this just seems dated immediately out of the gate. Czechs 20 years from now are going to walk past this thing and roll their eyes and say "Ugh, that's SO early 2000s."

Let me just say this: the buildings pictured below also were viewed as "groundbreaking" by some circles at some point in time, too:










Nuff said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best use of a Dragon Warrior reference that I've seen in a long time. :-)

Kevin O said...

Don't forget the Pompidou Center in Paris...