Joe Alterio's blog on illustration, comix, design, animation, and other bouts of total awesomeness.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Sketchblog 3/18/08




The above is another poster in the series I've done for Blue Flavor, advertising some of their software and projects. I've got a huge response from these posters, which brings up a rather interesting idea that we're dabbling with here: album art for programs. I considered this at first just advertisement, but the BF guys have been great, as usual, and given me complete creative freedom. I'm basically allowed to do whatever the word makes me think of. Which brings up an interesting new venue for illustrators. In a world in which albums are released digitally, and software and video games sometimes have a big and feverent a following as music ( see Firefox!) who's to say that software packaging needs to be all boring swooping blue lines and staid san serif fonts? I hope this is the beginning of a big trend... in any event, thanks again to the BF guys for being on the side of the good guys...

2 comments:

Kevin O said...

Rock on...

I could be wrong, but I think there was a similar shift in publishing about ten years ago, right? When the covers of books went from basically boring and standardized - a handful of fonts, a fragment of an image, an old painting - to what we have now, where you're far more likely to see a hand-drawn piece of art on the dust jacket than a boring font.

Maybe it happened earlier than that, but I remember being impressed during high school at book design that seemed innovative to me, at the time - like the classy "Catcher in the Rye" hardcover and the minimalist Vonnegut re-release with the big "V".

It does seem like time for software to go in that direction...

Joe said...

Well said, Kev: and one has to assume that the software industry has a bit more cash to throw around than the -*sigh*- print publishing industry.